Friday, April 14, 2006

Chicago, Part III: The Field Museum

The Field Museum is THE science museum in Chicago. Here is where you can see Sue, the largest T-Rex and other dinosaurs, plus a wall from a pyramid burial room, gems and jade, and an amazing exhibit on Pacific Nations. I knew nothing about all the islands in the pacific, so this was really fascinating. Unfortunately, I was so tired by the time we got to that exhibit, that I couldn’t do all the reading and exploring I wanted to do.

We were there on a Friday, while school was in session, and it was packed. There were kids everywhere! I guess it was Spring Break for some, that and the kids obviously on field trips. It gets a little frustrating because kids tend to squeeze in front of you so that you can’t see the exhibit, and their parents encourage their little darlings to do so. Kind of frustrating since those same kids were playing with their GameBoys in the last exhibit. Just so you can get an idea of what the museum looks like and how many people were there, here’s a photo taken from upstairs, above Sue.



Sue is the most amazing thing to see, and you can’t miss her because she is on the main floor. She’s the largest, complete T-Rex. Is there any doubt why Jurassic Park is one of my favorite books and movies? Here are some pics.




The museum is a classic building, with marble stairs, floors, and pillars. It’s entrance and main hall are bright, but the exhibits are lit to protect the artifacts. For someone with balance problems or lightheadedness, this can be a bit of a problem. Just take it slowly, your eyes and balance will adjust. There are some exhibits (mostly the gems) that are recreations of other famous articles, and I have to admit that my first reaction is “Why?” and “Big deal.” Being a reproduction doesn’t make it any less amazing, I guess. And better to see it as a reproduction that not as all, I guess. But it still seemed a little weird.

The dinosaurs were are part of a new “Evolving Planet” exhibit. I don’t have a problem with evolution, so I thought it was great. What I had a problem with is that you have to get a special ticket and time to see it. No more wondering around the dinosaurs whenever you want to. Our time was 3:15, so around 3:00, we got in line and waited for our turn in. But it was worth it. There are other special, temporary exhibits that require an additional entrance fee and ticket. When you get your tickets online, be sure to get tickets for everything you want to see.

There’s a Corner Bakery in the museum, but there are vending machines and McDonalds downstairs. But at the Corner Bakery, you’re still on the main level and there is better people watching there. It’s amazing how many people let their kids run around like wild in a place like this. Yes, it’s a bit over-stimulating, but Geez!

If I lived in Chicago, I would go to the museum and take an exhibit at a time to really appreciate all that they’ve done here. Since I don’t, it was a real whirlwind! But it was still a great experience.

Next up, dining at Frontera Grill.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Just too cool. Great pics.