Wednesday, January 25, 2006

This is Why Committee Work Sucks

You know, I thought that I would challenge myself and push myself beyond my boundaries. I thought this would be very good for me. I've been shying away from any kind of responsibility, terrified to have anyone relying on me to perform or succeed at something, so when the pastor of my church asked me to chair a committee for the new campaign drive, I said sure.

I'm a sucker because I can't say no. I'm too proud to admit that I might not be able to do it, and I'm too flattered that he would think that I would be a good chairperson.

So, here I am, calling people I don't know, asking them to be on this committee and sitting at a table with other committee members, as they stare at me, wondering what they have gotten themselves into and wondering why they can't say no. Well, at least we're all in the same boat.

It would be OK, if it wasn't for the rude woman I had to call. She left a message to my message that she couldn't give me an answer and she was told someone would call her and give her more information about what this is and that I was just going to have to call her and tell her about it because she won't give me an answer yet. Oh, and she doesn't answer the phone after 7, so I better call before then. Sheesh. Fine, I don't want you on the friggin' committee any way. But here's the kicker--after I talked to her (groveling in my apologies for not realizing she needed more information), she said yes! Well, conditional yes--yes, I'll give it a try. I'm in big trouble.

So, now I'm sitting here, dreading the phone ringing and being yelled at again. I left 2 other messages for 2 other possible members this morning. And I volunteered for this! I just keep telling myself, "it's only for 2 months, it's only for 2 months."

No comments: