Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Haven't Seen A One Of 'Em

Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
Goodnight, and Good Luck
Munich

Yep, Oscar nominations are out, and I haven't seen any of the films nominated for Best Picture. I did want to see and will see Goodnight, and Good Luck and Capote. But I'm just not intersted in the others. And can I go out on a line and say that I don't think Brokeback Mountain will win? I know that makes me some horrible homophobic person who just doesn't "get it," but I don't think the voters buy into hype or being told what to do. And that's been the attitude with this film--there's something wrong with you if you don't see the wonder/beauty/significance of this film. Or maybe I'm projecting my own feelings here. How the hell am I supposed to know how "the academy" will vote.

And you know what, I don't care. I used to love watching the Oscars and would get so excited about it. But as I get older I have less tolerance for celebrity and Hollywood patting itself on the back. I'm more interested in who wrote the films and who directed. Acting is hard to do well, I'll give them that. But any more, we are so innundated with information about these stars, that I don't get lost in a movie and it's story any more. I'm too busy thinking, "that's the actor who has been dating so and so and they met doing this other film" and any other insignificant little factoid that gets more air and print time than the point of the movie. And I don't watch interviews any more because sometimes I become so disillusioned with the star that I'm not interested in seeing them in the movie, no matter how good it's supposed to be. Russell Crowe is a perfect example. I think Russell Crowe is a genius, but I have a hard time watching him. Only A Beautiful Mind shook off the celebrity Crowe and sucked me into what was going on in the movie.

Tom Cruise? Cruised on outta here. Brad and Angelina? Double the number of movies I won't be watching. No, triple that--I'm not interested in seeing anything with Jennifer Aniston either. Collin Ferrill? Erin go bye-bye. And so many more.

It's just not worth my time any more. I don't even care what the women are wearing, but that's because I can't stand listening to all these people tell the stars how great they look, then go on morning shows and slam those same stars for their bad taste. It's so sad that nastiness is considered entertaining.

No comments: