Monday, July 09, 2007

Good Old Days

We had so much fun on Saturday. We went our favorite pub the Dundee Dell and hung out all afternoon. They have a new chef, so they were having an open house with samples of new things they may put on the menu. They also had some new bottles of scotch and new beers they were giving out sample of, so we headed down there. Free food and free booze?!? That's heaven. Actually, I don't know if they were really giving out the free samples of scotch, but since we're pretty well known there now, Mo (the general manager) poured a couple of things for us. One of them was a Little Mill, which was delicious, and one was something really old. Oh, and the beer was a Rogue Irish Lager called Kells. It's made just for me!

And the food was incredible. Fried plantains with black bean/avocado dip, fried risotto in a coconut batter with pineapple coulie on top and burgers and veggie sandwiches, we ate like kings. Oh, and fried green tomatoes, too. It was all really good. I could have eaten a platter of those plantains. Actually, I think I did eat a platter of those plantains.

Usually, I'm designated driver when it comes to things like this because Al is the scotch guy, so I let him taste and I hang out and talk. But this time, it worked out to be my turn. Oh, he had a couple of samples, but he quit early and let me partake.

Some friends came in, a guy that Al works with and his wife and her sister, who was visiting. We sat at the bar and laughed and talked and ate and drank and just had a wonderful time. I had been lamenting to Al that we never hang out and eat and drink with friends any more because all of our friends have kids and don't go out much. I really enjoyed myself.

I should do that more often, I think.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly! It sounds like a marvelous time.

Tink said...

That sounds like something straight out of Hoop's dreams. :)

Chelle Y. said...

You should go out with me sometimes. I do not like to drink, never have, so I am always the designated driver! :)

I am a drinker's best friend! LOL!

katy said...

that's something we dont do these days, sounds like fun might have to give it a go

Newt said...

If we were closer I would totally hang out, drink and laugh with you guys. It sounds like you had a great time. And the menu sounds fantastic.

Jay said...

The new chef didn't mess with the fish n' chips did he? Cause if he did I'm totally never eating that there again.

I'll just go there for the beer and Scotch. That'll show 'em!

Betty said...

Sounds like my idea of fun. Hanging out with friends.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your very own booze! Sound like a good time for all...except maybe Al...