Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I'm a Bookaholic.

And I can't stop myself. I have several books I'm trying to read right now, and at the rate I'm going, I won't finish any of them! Why do I do this to myself? Why can't I just be interested in one subject at a time so that I can read a book, then move on to another?

Why do I keep going to the library and getting armloads of books that I'm just going to have to return unread? It's not that I don't want to read them, I just hate having that due date looming over me. I feel like I'm being forced to read that book, so, of course, my Taurus stubborness says, "Maybe I don't want to read that right now. Maybe I want to read this paperback that's been sitting in my bookcase forever." But, I'm just as bad at the bookstore--buying books that I'm so excited about, then they just sit on the shelf. It's as if, now that I have it, I don't want it any more. How fickle.

So, which should I be reading right now? Should I go back to The Geographer's Library, which I put down while I reread The Dogs of Bedlam Farm. Or, I have the latest Jon Katz book on training dogs, and since I looooooved The Dogs of Bedlam Farm, I'm kind of on a dog kick. But, I'm also on another mystery kick, since I started the latest Rebus mystery on my list(I'm working my way through all of them). I started that one while on the stationary bike at the gym. And I have two Sherlock Holmes-inspired books: The Italian Secretary by Caleb Carr, which is a new Holmes mysters, and Arthur and George by Julian Barnes, which is about Arthur Conan Doyle in a real-life mystery.

Of course, I won't get anything read if I don't close this laptop. It just sucks me in, and before I know it, the hours I could have spent reading one of those library books was spent looking for the latest info on the Harry Potter movies, gossip at E!, and catching up on some blogs.

Oh well. Maybe I'll just knit instead.

1 comment:

Jay said...

I just finished "Marley and Me". It's good, and fast reading. But, a bit sad too.

Isn't it funny how that due date seems to put pressure on you. I feel it too. I keep checking to make sure of when a book is due. Weird huh?