Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Fuzz

We rarely go to the movies together. Al has what I have come to call “bad movie karma.” Inevitably, a small child who is too young to be there sits next to him or the tobacco-chewing good ol’ boy sits in front of him or the so-much-important-than-you person who can’t be bothered to turn off the cell phone sits behind him, and of course, the phone rings at least once.

So, Al doesn’t go to the movies very often. But this weekend, I made a command decision when my friend R called and asked if we wanted to go to the movies with them. They were going to see Hot Fuzz, even though she really didn’t have any idea what it was about or what to expect. I, on the other hand, couldn’t wait for the movie to come out, and since I knew Al wanted to see it, too, I told him we were going.

Actually, I wasn’t nearly as decisive as that. I told her we’d meet them there but would call if we couldn't make it. Then I asked Al if he would like to go. But I knew he’d say yes.

Hot Fuzz is by the same people who made Shaun of the Dead, which is one of our favorite movies. Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright wrote the screenplay and Wright again directs. Pegg and Nick Frost pair up again, leading a long list of talented and famous actors, including Timothy Dalton, Jim Broadbent and Edward Woodward just to name a few.

So, you knew I’d love it, right? Well, I did. It’s hilarious and oh so very clever. I don’t think calling it a parody, which some do, does it justice. Hot Fuzz is an homage to cop movies. They take their adoration very seriously, as they did with zombie movies in Shaun. Even within the movie, there’s Danny (Frost) who loves cop movies and peppers newcomer Angel (Pegg) with questions, wondering if he had ever done the things he’s seen in the movies. And as the movie goes on, he’s able to act out all his favorite movie moments.

Londoner Angel (Pegg) is an outstanding police officer (not policeman, that’s sexist). He’s so good that he’s making everyone else look bad, so he’s transferred to quiet and quaint Sandford. There is no crime in Sandford, but there are an awful lot of accidents. Angel begins to think there’s more to these “accidents” and starts investigating, uncovering the serial killing of townspeople. To tell you any more would ruin the fantastic second half of the film.

Pegg and Frost are brilliant. This is not Shaun of the Dead in police uniforms. No recycling here—new story, new characters, new conflicts.

The jokes are so fast and so many that you may want to see it twice to try to catch them all. And then, unless you know every cop and cop-buddy movie inside and out, I’m sure you’ll still miss something. But in the end, who the hell cares? Just enjoy it because it’s good movie.

8 comments:

Betty said...

Did we all rush to funny movies for a little comic relief from the awful events of last week? I know I did. This one looks pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard anything about it yet, but sounds great. We love Shaun of the Dead! That's for the perview. So...anyone you wanted to clober or did Al get all good movie goers?

Jay said...

I've seen the trailers for this movie. It looks really funny. Great review.

katy said...

didn't get round to going to see it so will look out for it when it comes sky movies, sounds great though

Newt said...

Sweet! I was really hoping you were going to say you liked it! I think the hubster might even go willingly.

Tink said...

Great review. I can't wait to go see it. Hoop and I loved Shaun Of The Dead. Especially the last few scenes with the zombified friend. We went and saw "The Reaping" this weekend. It was pretty good. Much better than I thought it would be, and a whole lot less biblical.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great review. I've just added it to my "my rent" list.

Neil said...

Even better than their two movies is their tv show 'Spaced' from a few years ago. Well worth tracking down.