I got tagged by Jay to admit how weird I am. Now I’m sharing the joy with 6 others (listed below). This is dangerously close to those annoying chain do-this-or-have-bad-luck-for-the-rest-of-your-life emails, but I’m gonna play along any way.
Here’s how the system works: Each player starts with the "6 Weird Things about Me." People who get tagged need to write a blog of their own 6 weird things as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says 'you are tagged' in their comments and tell them to read your blog."
I’m usually really good at self-censoring but I’ll let you in on some weird things about me.
1. I’m weird about that big, nasty vein in chicken breasts. When I cook chicken I cut it up so that I can cut out that vein. When I eat out, I rarely will eat chicken because other cooks aren’t as fastidious about cutting that nasty thing out.
2. I’m weird about having things covering in my face. When I was a kid, I got trapped under an air mattress in the pool, so I get panicky if I feel even a little bit suffocated. I can’t sleep under the covers, I have to turn around and tilt my head back in the shower to wash my hair because I can’t have water in my face, and I don’t water ski or go tubing or any of that fun stuff because the thought of falling and being forced under water scares the hell out of me.
3. I’m weird about silence. It’s difficult for me to feel comfortable in a silent house, so I always have the TV on. I may not be actually watching anything, but it’s on because I find the other voices around me comforting. However, I complain about how loud restaurants and bookstores are, wishing they weren’t playing any music, and when I go for walks, I usually don’t even take my iPod because then I like the quiet.
4. I’m weird about the shower. I know it’s supposed to be all erotic and romantic to share a shower, but it’s just not for me. I’m always cold if I’m not under the shower head, and I’m always afraid that I’m going to get water in my face if I am under the shower head. Oh sure, there have been times I’ve been able to go outside myself and relax but usually, it’s better to just let me take a shower by myself, thanks.
5. I’m weird about a dirty plate in front of me. When I finish eating, I move the plate away from me. At home, I put it in the dishwasher, but at restaurants, I actually push the plate away from me. My mother said that when I was little and finished a bottle, I’d just throw it over my shoulder. Done is done.
6. I’m weird about talking on the phone. I have a phone phobia. I get so nervous when I have to make a phone call, that I have to prepare what I’m going to say, then I still ramble and “um” and sound like an idiot. I pray for the answering machine to pick up when I call people. I even get nervous calling people I like. And it drives me batty when my husband forwards our phone to his cell phone when we go out because I know that if it rings, it’ll be while we’re in the car and he’ll hand it to me to answer because “he’s driving.”