Monday, December 04, 2006

Chritmastime's a Comin'

It’s time to decorate for Christmas, so I thought I’d do this MEME from Jay to put me in the mood.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate. Although, Egg Nog with Kahlua is not a bad way to drink Egg Nog.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Half the fun is unwrapping the presents. Sheesh! My hubby said he was just going to buy me a bunch of wrapping paper for Christmas since I enjoy unwrapping so much. But, see, that wouldn’t work because the wrapping has to be around something. Preferably, something sparkly.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Both on the tree. I couldn’t decide between them, so I just put both. However, Al’s a bit of a Scrooge when it comes to lights outside :-(

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Yes, for all the good it does. We’ve just gotten so afraid to show any kind of emotion for fear of reprisals that mistletoe is just another decoration now. *Sigh* No more groping under the mistletoe. I miss that.

5. When do you put up your decorations?
It depends on how late Thanksgiving is and if my brother is here to help. But usually, I wait until December. Although, there is a fine line because if you decorate too soon, you’re sick of Christmas before the big day, and if you wait too late, then you run around like a mad person trying to get everything done and then you can’t enjoy it. It’s so stressful!

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
I always make a prime rib at Christmas. Nothing better than a slab of succulent meat for us carnivores. Oh, and we always have mimosas with breakfast and while we open presents. Does that count as a dish?

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
The year Jay got a bicycle for Christmas. He was so sure he wasn’t going to get one that he walked right past it Christmas morning. I had to turn him around so he’d see it.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
What are you insinuating? Santa is watching you, you know. You don’t want coal in your stocking.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
When we were kids we used to open one. And surprise, surprise! It was always new pajamas. Now I’m forced to wait because I have a family that thinks it’s fun to torture me.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
We have a very eclectic tree. I have wooden ornaments that we painted as kids with Mom our first Christmas without Dad and some that Al and I painted our first year of marriage. Plus all the ornaments that I get as gifts. I love getting ornaments as Christmas presents.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it! Especially if I’m inside with a hot chocolate, sitting by a roaring fire. Then I love that first walk outside in the undisturbed snow, hearing that crunch and squelch under my boots. And since I have the coolest snow shovel ever (it has wheels!), I even like shoveling the driveway.

12. Can you ice skate?
When I was kid I could, but I haven’t even tried as an adult. I’d love to go though. But I seem to be the only one in my little circle who wants to go. Oh, poor deprived me. How dare they keep me from breaking my neck.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
When I was a kid, it was a Baby Alive doll. It was such a cool doll. And my engagement ring, which was in a box-in-a-box-in-a-box type of gift.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Trying to just enjoy the season without getting all wrapped up in it. (Wrapped up. Ha! I slay me) Anyway, I used to spend a helluva lot of time trying to make it a perfect, memorable Christmas. Then I realized that I didn’t have to work so hard because the people around me just enjoyed being around at Christmas.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
What isn’t?!? I usually make a platter of cookies for the people in Al’s office and some to ship off to deserving family members ;-).

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I really enjoy those mimosas on Christmas morning. And I watch every version of A Christmas Carol.

17. What tops your tree?
A lovely angel that Al bought in a Christmas shop in the Cotswolds about 12 years ago.

18. Which do you prefer, Giving or Receiving presents?
I love Christmas shopping. I spend a lot of time trying to decide on at least one really great gift. I don’t always succeed, but it’s fun to try. But receiving isn’t so bad, either. Especially if it’s something sparkly.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Snowfall sung by Manhattan Transfer. I love most Christmas songs, but that one is just so pretty. One of those slow-dancing-in-front-of-the-fire kinds of song.

20. Candy Canes Yuck or Yum?
Yummy! And they’re even better if you crush ‘em up and mix them into cookie dough.

3 comments:

steve said...

I'm with ya on the egg nog and Kahlua - that's good holiday drinkin'. And I also share your mistletoe lamentation - people need to lighten the hell up and have fun.

Newt said...

I've never tried egg nog and kahlua, stopping at the grocery store tonight that's for sure. Great meme. Now I'm totally in the Christmas mood.

Tink said...

Mmmm. Candy canes in cookie dough. Do you ever get around to baking them? After I started nibbling I'm not sure there would be much left to bake.

One year I invited all my friends with little kids over to help me make cookies. By the time we finished there was flour on the ceiling! The kids were coated too, but that was more understandable. :)