Saturday, March 11, 2006

Morning Pages

I've been reading The Artist's Way on the recommendation of my good friend, Rose. It's pretty interesting, and I am finding myself in the author's descriptions. That "shadow voice" that tells you that you aren't good enough or creative enough, so you find other ways to be involved with artists instead of being one yourself. You buy pieces of art, you become a patron of the local theater, you take a job where you support other creative people, all because you are afraid to try to do it yourself and find that you are creative after all.

One of the exercises and something the author recommends doing every day is called "Morning Pages." I love this idea. It's just you, a pen, and a spiral notebook. You write steam of consciousness for 3 pages--whatever comes into your mind. This will dump all those extraneous thoughts in your head so that you can focus your thoughts on what you need to do that day. It also dumps all those self-conscious and destructive thoughts because you can write them out of your head instead leaving them in there to fester.

I had no problem filling 3 pages. And I did feel better. So, I think I'll keep trying it.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Well, I guess this could be useful, as long as you don't go back and read those self destructive thoughts over and over. And as long as you don't use it as a tool to beat yourself up every morning.

Lisa said...

I like this idea, Kell . . . do you still find it helpful?