Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Craving

I'm craving cookies, so I think I'll make one of my favorites. I call them Road Trip Cookies because I always make them and take them on road trips. Brilliant, huh? We drove from San Antonio to Las Vegas in our Miata, and these cookies helped get us through those long stretches. Enjoy!

Road Trip Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 18-oz jar smooth peanut butter (I prefer Skippy!)
3/4 teaspoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
4 1/2 cups regular oats, uncooked
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips (actually, I used almost the entire bag)

Using a mixer, cream butter, then gradually add both sugars. Beat well. Add eggs, peanut butter, syrup, and vanilla and beat well until all incorporated. Add oats, soda, and salt and mix well (you can do this step with a spoon since the dough gets pretty stiff). Stir in chocolate chips.

Using a 1/4-cup measuring cup, drop dough 4 inches apart onto lightly greased cookie sheet, or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly press each cookie into a circle with fingertips. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes (centers of cookies will be soft). Cool slightly on cookie sheet then remove to cooling rack to cool completely. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen.

No comments: